Ripe during mid July-early August $6 per pound.
- The blueberry is one of the only foods that is truly naturally blue in color.
- Blueberries ranked number one in antioxidant health benefits in a comparison with more than 40 fresh fruits and vegetables.
- A single blueberry bush can produce as many as 6,000 blueberries per year.
- The silvery sheen (or “bloom”) found on the skin of blueberries is a naturally occurring compound that helps protect the fruit. This why you should only wash blueberries right before you’re going to eat them. The berries should be stored in the refrigerator, and will keep fresh for up to 10 days.
- Consumption of blueberries has been linked to health benefits including a reduced risk of cancer, increased insulin response, a reversal in age-related memory loss, and lowering blood pressure.