DRUM ROLL PLEASE....We are rolling out a Members-Only, U-pick CSA program. (CSA is “Community Supported Agriculture. Ours is U-PICK) Below are all the details that you need to know.
Please scroll to the bottom for instant CSA details. Or keep reading for extended understanding. Thanks!
First off, thank you so much for being a beautiful part of the 2021 growing season. We loved having you and your family/friends here at the farm.
Now that everything has been put to bed for the winter, we have sat down to run the numbers, and realize that we can’t keep doing things the way we did this year...not if we want to stay financially afloat.
So, LOTS of brainstorming, number crunching, and conversations have occurred in hopes of coming up with a win for everyone. During this process, the priorities of the farm stayed front of mind:
- Offer organic and ripe: provide the highest taste/quality/nutrient-dense food that we can while protecting/nourishing the soil.
- Build community: where you are known, belong, and feel ownership here.
- Provide experiential activities: a place to find joy in the harvest, peace in the beauty, movement in the gathering, imagination in the foraging/creating, FUN, etc.
- Keep food prices stable: food costs are skyrocketing around us, but not here.
- Cultivate bonding: families/friends who harvest in nature together bond deeply.
- Practice financially sound stewardship. Be able to stay open as a u-pick organic farm.
- Minimize waste. Grow enough, but not abundantly more for the people that pick here.
- Utilize the plethora of fruits already growing on the farm.
With those things in mind, we found one idea that seemed to embrace all of those things. We hope you agree, and join us with our new farm model:
Member Only, U-Pick CSA!
We are so stoked to be able to offer our farm members the following HUGE benefits:
Member Only Benefits:
- PRIVATE: Enjoy a private member-only “park” to explore where you'll find: changing storybook walks in the shade-covered grove; wild-flower meandering walking path; picnic spots; sculpture photo opps; hanging tents to relax or read books in; befriend, feed, and write letters to our beloved hens; exclusive invites to events and classes (options are mentioned below under “add on’s”)
- OPEN HOURS NOW INCLUDE SOME EVENINGS in case you are busy during the day. Feel free to picnic after your weekly harvest...perhaps with newly found farm friends!
- VARIETY of flavors and exciting rarities that can be tasted here (some of these are perennial and will be first come, first serve): all the sought after things like sun-gold tomatoes, herbs, cukes, zukes, strawberries (the BEST...no joke, the fruit commissioner of MN raved about them!), blueberries, rasps, peppers, onions, greens, carrots, beans, radishes, beets, etc. BUT, we also offer exotic things like: black licorice mint, honeyberries, gooseberries, green and purple grapes, red/white/black currants, 3 kinds of plums, blackberries, tart cherries, asparagus, gourmet garlic, oyster and shiitake mushrooms (if enough grow), golden raspberries, a few elderberries, etc.
- PEAK OF RIPENESS: Nothing tastes better, or has more beneficial nutrients than ripe food...and that is not found in the grocery store due to perishable qualities. (as berries ripen, anti-inflammatory pigments are more present and help protect brain function/fight against cancer.) That's a big deal!
- FLOWERS: Enjoy the therapeutic benefits of foraging the farm for your own BOUQUETS! Not only do we have really unique tulips and daffodils coming this spring, but also tons of other rare finds...orlayas, mignonettes, lily of the valley, chinese forget-me-nots, yuccas, honeywarts, snapdragons, dahlias, apple blossoms, pussy-willows, lilacs, sweet Williams, cosmos, roses, etc etc etc. You will receive a mason jar with your CSA box that you can fill with stunning fresh flowers/woods/greens each week!
- ADD-ON’S (for additional cost), please feel free to choose from: our “adopt” a chicken program (pick a chick to “adopt”, and you’ll receive her story, picture, and a “real mail” letter sent to your home); free-range eggs of various colors; delish raw honey; pick your ingredient omelet breakfast day at the farm; monthly classes to be announced. (i.e: yogurt making with fresh berry compote; mushroom log inoculation; forage farm for wreath making; bouquet demo with local floral designer; ferment pickling; pressed flower art, etc); enjoy local cold-brew coffee truck at various picking days!
- EVENTS: member only events (some are additional costs): i.e: - Family Photo Day with Professional Photographers; Holiday Gift Boutique; Themed costume picking weeks; Picnic and Game Nights; Day with the Alpacas and Sculpture Tour; Etc.
- ORGANIC everything is enjoyed here.
- STABILITY of Food Costs: Purchase now, and regardless of what food costs are in the grocery store come next summer, your costs WON’T increase! (Food went up 4% just in the month of Oct 2021 alone!)
- CHOICE: you pick what is in your box. (with lots of CSAs, you take what they give you.)
- BONDING: Spending sweet time with LOVED ones doing activities away from electronics that are great for the body, mind and spirit.
- BEING KNOWN: Isn’t that one of our biggest human needs/desires, to go “where everybody knows your name”? Well, here at the farm, you will be welcomed, befriended, and known. Membership allows for smaller numbers of people so we can actually form a community! We want to know your name, and your fave veg, flowers, recipes, trips, colors, hobbies, etc. We all grow in the best ways when we know, and are known, and spend time listening to/with each other.
- JOY of the harvest (the best part of growing) where you frolic in nature while picking each item. Every berry/fruit/veg/flower is self-chosen per your discernment/tastes, and every moment in nature fills your inner tank.
- PHYSICAL Activity: you won’t even notice that you are using those muscles but, while harvesting, you’ll be getting some movement in!
- ABUNDANCE: Garden food will be grown based on the numbers of our members, so there will be plenty for you!
- GIVING: Have to miss a week of picking? No problem: simply gift your missed week to a friend so they can enjoy the harvest while you’re away.
NOW THE DETAILS:
This will be our new model IF enough people sign up...so PLEASE JOIN AND INVITE ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS!!! If we can't get our minimum number of memberships required to make this work, then we'll reimburse your purchase, and go with "plan b"...TBD.
Number of Weeks: 16
Picking Detail: Each week you will receive the equivalent of $47-$50 of veg/fruit/flowers/herbs. How you'll pick: At the beginning of the season, you'll receive a big box that will hold all of the week's items. When you arrive at the farm each week, we will give you what you need for that week's picking of the specific ripe items. For example: you may receive a quart-sized picking box for the beans and a pint-size picking box for the gooseberries, a bag for the greens, etc. This will alleviate weighing as you take whatever you can fit in each container. The large box will be able to house all of the smaller specific boxes. You will also have a jar for that week's bouquet.
Picking Season Dates: Starts the week of May 31, 2022 and goes thru September 17th, 2022
Financial Investment: $650 for FULL membership of 16 weeks (each box is approx: $47 value, but you’ll only be paying $40.65ea box! $450 for 1/2 membership which is every other week (8 weeks) of the summer.
Member Picking Days/HRS:
Tues: Day 8am-noon; Evening: 4pm-8pm
Thurs: Day 8am-noon; Evening: 4pm-8pm
Closed: Sundays, Mondays, and Wednesdays.
Disclaimer: As a member of the CSA, you are making a financial commitment for the 2022 season to receive a weekly or bi-weekly fruit/veg/flower box. You recognize that due to the inherent risks of farming, there are no guarantees on the exact amount of produce you will receive due to weather extremes, insects, and/or other production factors. You are willing to share the risks of growing methods and reap the benefits along with the farmer. You understand that no refunds for CSA shares will be granted during the season. Thank you for your understanding, and support of local, organic, fresh, ripe produce!