Recipe adapted from Taste Of Home. Makes 8 servings.
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 4 cups fresh or frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed if using frozen.
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon slivered almonds
- 4 tablespoons cold butter
- Press pastry onto the bottom and up the sides of an greased 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom; trim edges.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in cherries; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in extract. Pour into crust.
- For topping, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar and almonds. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over filling. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.